Faux BK Mocha Joe

One of my weaknesses in life is coffee. No, not the plain black kind in a mug.. I mean the fancy kind with sugar, frothy milk, whip cream, and all the fixings. Although it seems like a good treat, the money spent on that sure seems to add up fast. So to save money, I have learned to make some of my favorite coffees at home. One of them is the BK Mocha Joe – an iced coffee with chocolate syrup.

{Photo Source}

This is how to make a Burger King Mocha Joe like I make at my home.  Recipe:

Ingredients

2 teaspoons instant coffee granules

1 teaspoon sugar

3 tablespoons hot water

1 teaspoon chocolate syrup

ice cubes

milk of choice

Put the coffee, sugar, and water into a sealed container. Shake and dissolve all ingredients in the water. This will create your coffee syrup. Pour a tall glass full of your milk of choice, with a handful of ice cubes, then add your syrup, and the chocolate syrup. Stir with spoon and serve with a straw.

It curbs my urge to run to Burger King and order a Mocha Joe, and it’s oh so good! :)

For more frugal ideas, visit Biblical Womanhood.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
Category: Frugal
26 Responses
  1. Yum, your coffee sounds wonderful!

I’ve been known to add chocolate syrup or sometimes caramel ice cream topping to mine too!

I love frugal ideas, thanks for the link!

2. Jennifer says:

Thanks!

Oh.. I never thought about the caramel topping. I will have to try that next. :)

3. yum! i’ve made these every night since reading this. we usually make iced mochas using espresso from the espresso machine but this is so much easier! we use hershey’s dark chocolate syrup. it’s so yummy. i will have to link your recipe on my blog. everyone expects me to pass on all great coffee recipes. hope that’s ok! thanks again!

4. Jennifer says:

Milk allergy mom – I am so glad that you like the recipe, and thanks for sharing it with others. :D I am surprised that it compares to an espresso version though. I guess me not having a machine at home is okay. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I’ll be sure to check yours out as well.
    Jennifer

5. [...] coffee at BK, I have been searching for iced coffee recipes that are easy and yummy at home.  My Faux Mocha Joe Recipe was a hit, but I am always looking for something [...]

6. Melphina says:

OMG BK MOCHA JOES ARE MY CRACK>_<

7. Maudie says:

Thanks for the post. Very informative and thought provoking.

8. Carrie says:

Ok, I have been searching for a recipe to mimic BKMJ. Yours sounds just right, off to try it now. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

I will also check out your link to more frugal ideas. I am always looking for ways to save, even just a little bit.

Thanks again!

9. Carri says:

OH MY GOSH.
    I just got off the phone with BK to find out the ingredients. I am trying to stay away from partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. The woman has to call me back.

Thank GOODNESS I found you. Like someone else posted – bkmj are my drug of choice.
    I’ve learned to bring my own starbucks coffee mug (the kind with the silver inside), filled halfway with ice, and order my bkmj without ice! You get almost twice as much as when they fill it with ice.

Isn’t that sad? But, it is my drug, so I have to have it perfect!

I can’t wait to try this recipe. Have you made a lot of the syrup to keep on hand?

I bet it would stay fresh for a while- I guess you could make a big vat of it, like they have at bk….ok – I’ve written way too much about this drink :)

thanks for the recipe!!

10. Guest says:

I found your recipe through a Google search and I made it for the first time this morning – DELICIOUS! Almost identical to the original, it will totally satisfy the craving. Thank you so much for sharing this with the rest of us “addicts”!

11. cathy says:

could u make this with regular perk coffee grounds? i use coffee beans so i ground them as i go..thanks

12. Hey!. Nice! Really caouldn\’t agree more REGARDING \”Faux BK Mocha Joe\”. I really liked it a lot. Try chocolate syrup. Thanks.

13. Maria says:

Addicted to BK’s Mocha Joe! I also get mine w/o ice, you get more that way ::sigh:: – I have a tip: I buy a cup, drink a bit, then freeze the remainder. THEN I buy another cup w/o ice, and in a large thermos cup, I put the solid frozen block of the Mocha Joe, and now I have 2x the amount of Mocha Joe w/o watering it down. Making MJ ice cubes would work the same, but I think that the bigger the ‘cube’ (3/4 of that cup) will melt a whole lot slower (and your coffee lasts longer) than will the Mocha ice cubes. I will definitely try your recipe!!! Many thanks.

14. Mocha Dave says:

OMG, thank you sooooo much for the recipe. Mocha BK Joe’s have been my marijuana since they first came out. I can’t get enough and I hate hot coffee.

15. Bridget says:

I’m trying to lose weight and I used your recipe to create a “slim-fast” mocha joe and unbelieveably, it almost tastes like a real mocha joe…Thanks so much for this idea…For anyone else that would like to try it, here is the variation…

I mixed the coffee just like you but with 2 packets of splenda rather than sugar(taster’s choice has the little packets of instant coffee that you can take on the go, they are perfect!)
    Add 1 scoop slimfast high protein creamy chocolate powder, 1 tbs. of the chocolate(you could further reduce the calories with the low cal choc syrup but I didn’t have any)
    8 oz of over the moon fat free milk
    Mix and pour over ice!
    approx 260 calories vs 380 if you get the actual mocha joe, plus you have a complete breakfast!

16. Wow! Looks like I’m not the only one. I just recently discovered the greatness that is BK Mocha Joe Iced Coffee within the last month or two. There are now 3 Burger Kings in my part of town that recognize me and know what I want when I pull up, from visiting them so often! :) I noticed the first few times that they do fill your cup up with ice, so I’ve been ordering mine with ‘light ice’, some days ordering two because they only come in one size. I didn’t think to bring my own larger cup with ice in it and order the Mocha Joe without ANY ice. That’s a great way to get the most crack….err…coffee for my money! Thanks for the ideas everyone, and glad to see there are others that share my addiction. God forbid, if they ever take these off the menu, do you think we would suffer withdrawals? ;)

17. LIsa says:

I am so glad I came across your blog. I have been trying to make the mocha joe for a long time and everything I have tried (hot chocolate packet, etc) has made it way too many calories and it really wasn’t close enough to a good fix. It always left me wanting the real thing and I drive passed BK 4 times a day. It’s way too tempting. Thanks Carri, the next time I do get a mocha joe I am asking for it w/o ice. Great tip! And Bridget your Slim Fast Mocha Joe sounds like a fantastic alternative. I am going to try that next. Thank you all. I sure wish I would have searched this recipe sooner :)

18. Tara Uhl says:

just throwing this out there,
    bk makes their’s with half a container with vanilla shake mix, other half with that day’s old coffee, and 12 shots of chocolate syrup. then keep it in a cooler for up to a week.
    so it’s rather gross when you think about it.
    &many places have them pre-made up, where all they have to do is add ice.
    so alot of times you’re more than likely just to get handed a half full cup &attitude.
    corporate caught on to the getting double without ice idea.

ps, your recipe = amazing.

19. OH WOW! *THANK YOU!* sooo very much! I am attending a Mother Culture meeting tonight and am in charge of bringing drinks. I wanted to make up some ice coffee, and I usually make a good one! However, I do not have all the ingredients I need and don’t wanna spend the $$$. Still, I want a good iced mocha! LOL! So I found you after doing a search and bookmarking quite a few recipes. I am happy to share that this is DELISH!!!! I put 8 c. of milk in a container and then made up enough for 6 servings of the flavoring. It tastes like caramel, and it took less $$$ to make than what I usually do or what I wanted to do with other recipes. DEFINITELY a keeper of a recipe~*THANK YOU!* (((((HUGS))))) sandi

20. It’s almost better with 2 T. Ovaltine in place of the chocolate syrup! MMMMM! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

21. Nick says:

Wow, thank you. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems like you’re confident enough in the recipe (as well as everyone else), so I’ll just have to take your word on it. I don’t doubt it’s great. I’ve been having the same ordeal, ’cause I can’t stand plain old black coffee without anything in it. Anyways, thanks again.

22. sara says:

What kind of instant coffee granuals am i suppose to use?

23. Jennie says:

I have used generic, cheap ones…

24. Janet says:

Your recipe sounds great! I can’t wait to try it! I have my own recipe I have been using for years: I take 1 pot of strong coffee, 3 heaping scoops of chocolate slimfast and 1 cup of milk (use less milk if you like a stronger coffee taste), mix in a pitcher and refrigerate over night. It will be very thick in the morning, pour over ice and yummy!

25. Janet says:

Your recipe sounds great! I can\’t wait to try it! I have my own recipe I have been using for years: I take 1 pot of strong coffee, 3 heaping scoops of chocolate slimfast and 1 cup of milk (use less milk if you like a stronger coffee taste), mix in a pitcher and refrigerate over night. It will be very thick in the morning, pour over ice and yummy!