I’m a little late to this Reverb10 thing, but I stumbled on it this morning after some yoga. I had my tea in hand. I thought, “Why not?” I dusted off the journal and started.
11 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011?
1. Expectations of others. Normally if I expect things of others, either behaviors, things, actions, in some way they will fall through. Now I’m not trying to be negative, but my general idea of them or what they said they would do is just that – an idea. Humans can communicate, but I think we are generally bad at conveying our thoughts with others. This makes for mixed communication and a confusion in expectations. I want to focus on the positives they do bring to my life.
2. Worry. As I have heard, it’s just a bunch of meandering thoughts whirling around a pit of fear. It does no good. I want to do something in its place and find solutions or let it go.
3. Procrastination and laziness. Now I understand that there are times needed for rest, but I know I deliberately cut corners sometimes out of laziness. I want to feel accomplished instead.
4. The idea that material things makes me who I am. I am me because of my thoughts, my life experiences, and the people I surround myself with. I can still be me without the stuff.
5. Excuses! They are just that excuses! They do nothing positive for my life, and I want to experience more without being tied to limits.
6. Negative thoughts and speech. I want to enjoy my days in reality and in my thoughts, and I want to pass those traits along to my daughter. I don’t want to be and I don’t want her consumed by negativity.
7. Labels. I want to parent, teach, live, learn, experience without labels. They may help us find community, but I am seeing a lot more people fighting with others or with themselves over expectations because they are trying to live up to a label.
8. Attachment to technology. I love gadgets and the online community, but sometimes I just feel stuck in it rather than really living and doing offline. I want to find a balance. Expect more on this one later.
9. The clock. Some days, I go mad because Val hasn’t napped by 1pm. Why? Because the clock told me she should be napping RIGHT NOW. That creates a downward spiral, and it’s unnecessary. I want to follow the rhythm of the day and just flow.
10. Feeling obligated. Either do it or don’t do it and stick with the decision.
11. Envy. I’m human – I get jealous of other people’s things or situations or their time spent doing things like meditating or doing yoga. I want to be grateful in all the little moments because this is my life, and I’m totally going to enjoy it in 2011.